Thursday 21 April 2011

Boisdale - Monday 18 April 2011

We had a works dinner at the newly opened Canary Wharf Boisdale branch. Yes, I know your right its not a Sunday, lunchtime or in Greenwich but I definitely thought it was worth a post.

Its a Scottish / English influenced venue, and I say venue rather than restaurant because theres a lot going on here.  Its a restaurant, its a oyster  and champagne bar, theres a dedicated whisky bar, a jazz club and to top it all off theres a cigar room (aparantly with the only walk in humidor where you can snoke cigars to your hearts content.

Its spread across three floors above the main Canary Wharf shopping center with its own dedicate lift to each floor.  For decor think big hearty reds and greens with mahogany at every turn.  Think old boys drinking club, its the perfect city establishment.

But looking at the crowds on most floors it must be a winner  - it was Monday night but every table was full by the time we left.  Our table had a view of the jazz stage and a short but polite note told us that if we stayed at our table when the jazz started our bill would have a 10 pounds live music charge made to it!

The waiting staff were efficient and there were lots of them, picking up napkins if you happened to drop yours on the floor. The menu displayed the restaurants Scottish / English heritage there was lots of haggis, salmon, offal on offer and an eyewatering selection of caviar in both variety and price - anyone fancy some Golden Almas caviar at £3,750 for 125 grams......who says theres a recession on.

Unfortuantely our pockets were not quite so full as the bankers of Canary Wharf so we went for the set menu for £15 - not a bad price.  My starter was a Ceasar salad with Ortiz anchovies followed by Salmon on a pea risotto.   The Ceasar salad was good and tasty, the anchovies being the star of the dish.  The salmon was filling and flavoursome.  Some of my colleagues had the haggis - I must admit I was jealous, I wish I had taken the plunge, especially those that had also gone for the whisky chaser alongside it. I passed on desert but the dishes on offer looked tantalising.

Im not quite sure how I feel about Boisdales, its a little too full of itself, a little intimidating, but I definitely wouldnt turn down an offer to return, the whisky bar was mesmorising and needs sampling and the haggis is definitely calling my name....

Boisdale of Canary Wharf on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment